This article is about the casino in Monaco. For the casino in Las Vegas, formerly known as Monte Carlo Resort and Casino, see. Park MGM.
Monte Carlo Casino, officially known as Casino de Monte-Carlo, is a gambling and entertainment complex located in Monaco. It includes a casino, Opéra de Monte-Carlo and Les Ballets de Monte-Carlo office.
The Casino de Monte-Carlo is owned and operated by the Monaco government and the Société des bains de mer de Monaco, a public company in which the ruling royal family holds a majority stake. The company also owns major hotels, sports clubs, catering establishments and nightclubs throughout the Principality.
The idea of opening a gambling casino of Monaco belongs to Princess Caroline, a crafty, business-minded spouse of Prince Florestan. The proceeds of the proposed initiative were supposed to recover the House of Grimaldi from bankruptcy. The persistent financial problems of the ruling family became particularly acute after the loss of tax revenue from two separation towns of Menton and Roquebrune, which declared independence from Monaco in 1848 and refused to pay taxes for olive oil and fruit imposed by Grimaldis.
In 1854, Florestan’s son and future Prince Charles of Monaco was a French writer – writer Albert Aubert and businessman Napoleon Langlois to write a prospectus to draw the 4 million francs needed to draw up a development plan and build a spa for his treatment. team hired. various illnesses, a casino modeled from the Bad Homburg casino, and English-style villas. Having granted a 30-year concession to operate a bathing facility and gaming tables, Aubert and Langlois opened the first casino at Villa Bellevu on December 14, 1856. The building, intended to be only a temporary place, was a modest mansion in La Condamine.
In the late 1850s, Monaco was an unexpected place for a resort to be successful. The lack of roads to connect Monaco to Nice and the rest of Europe, and the lack of comfortable accommodation for visitors, and the concessionaires’ failure to introduce the new facility resulted in far fewer customers than originally anticipated. Unable to raise the capital needed to run the money-losing business, Aubert and Langlois transferred their rights to Frossard de Lilbonne, which was passed on to Pierre Auguste Daval in 1857.
During this first semester, the casino moved several times until it finally ended in the area called Les Spelugues (English: The Caves). The construction of this site began on 13 May 1858 with designs by the Parisian architect Gobineau de la Bretonnerie and was completed in 1863. Gobineau de la Bretonnerie also designed the neighboring Hôtel de Paris Monte-Carlo (built in 1862).
Although the casino began to profit in 1859, Daval was not ready for duty.